Monday, January 2, 2012

Escapism

I am an escapist. I run to stories, to other worlds, to lives created by others in situations created by others in order to live a life more interesting than mine. Allow me to spell it out a bit for you. If ever you were unsure of how big of a dork I am, I am putting that argument to rest, once and for all.

I own over 70 Star Wars novels and have read them all multiple times.
I have invested over 350 hours into Tales RPG's over the last 2 years.
In the last two months alone, I have put in 71 hours into the DotA 2 beta.
I don't even want to know how many hours have gone into DotA. I know that I have something around 1000 matches, lasting an average of 30 min.
I have a full terrabyte of anime on my hard drive. Honestly, I don't feel like calculating how many hours of TV that is.

A quick note for those who say "That's why you are still single." The other friends that I play DotA with are all married and they actually play more than I do. So I have many other problems when it comes to that. Just sayin : p

I said it before, I am desperately thirsty. There is a desire deep down in my soul for a better life, a better self, a better country

What does God give me in order to satify this desire for more? For something better?

Hebrews 11:9-10 "By faith he went to live in the land of promise, as in a foreign land, living in tents with Isaac and Jacob, heirs with him of the same promise. For he was looking forward to the city that has foundations, whose designer and builder is God."

Hebrews 11:26 "(Moses) considered the reproach of Christ greater wealth than the treasures of Egypt, for he was looking to the reward."

Heb 12:22-23 "But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to innumerable angels in festal gathering, and to the assembly of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, and to God..."

Phil 3:19-20 "Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things. But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body by the power than enables him even to subject all things to himself."

And so much more. All of Revelation 21 and 22. References in Psalms and the prophets to the coming Kingdom of God. God puts in us an insatiable desire for perfections, something that is far better than what we see and experience here. He gives us a vision in his Word to quench that desire, to motivate us to do everything we can to reach that land, that place, that life, that body. But like everything else, we settle for what the world tells us is a good land, a good place, a good life, a good body (think superpowers, not supermodels. This is not a treatise on sexual exploitation.)

Now, I not going to swear off any of these things, nor would I ever encourage anyone to. However, what I will do and what I will pray is as follows.

"God, thank you for your grace that you offer us such an eternity. Help me to meditate on it more and more. Help the vision of what you have for me and how it is that you want me to get there begin to eclipse all other desires. Let everything else begin to feel empty and insufficient compared to your gift of this amazing reward."

"One thing have I asked of the Lord, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to inquire in his temple.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I love your honesty. Keep it up! I'm looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete